We used to eat this for dinner, when I was a child, but I think it is better to make it for breakfast, as it is a rather heavy food.
Ingredients for about 4 servings
8 slices of bread
oil for frying
: 20 minutes
Heat the oil in a frying pan. In a bowl, mix well the eggs and salt. Add the bread and soak, and then fry the saturated bread until it is golden brown on each side.
Serve with hot tea.
- Use older bread instead of fresh bread.
- Always wash the eggs before using them.
- Fry carefully, so that the bread will not have raw eggs inside.
- Add 1 or 2 more eggs if necessary. Don’t forget to salt it.
- Add a little milk instead of eggs.
- Too hot oil will burn the bread outside, and leave it raw inside. If the oil is not hot enough, the bread will soak it up, and it will be too greasy. (In my grandmother’s time, people used to fry the bread only in fat, without the eggs, so it was very-very greasy. I don’t think anyone could eat something like that nowadays.)
- Leave the salt, and add sugar when you serve them.