Combine the sensual fresh strawberries with this luscious cake, and enjoy a moment to remember.
30 dkg flour
30 dkg sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
10 dkg margarine or butter
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup milk (2,5 dl)
grated peel and juice of 1 lemon
50 dkg strawberries
5 dkg sliced almonds
butter and flour to coat the pan
powdered sugar for decoration
- Preheat the oven to 140-150ºC.
- Wash and drip strawberries, cut up the larger pieces, and lay aside.
- Make sure you leave a few strawberries whole, for decoration.
- Mix the flour and the baking powder, and coat the pan.
In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar, then fold in the eggs -- one by one -- the vanilla, the mixed dry ingredients, and the milk. Grate the peel of a lemon into the mixture, then add lemon juice to taste, and mix well.
Pour the batter into a medium sized, pre-coated pan, then distribute the strawberries on the top, and then sprinkle the sliced almond over that. Bake in a preheated oven for about 30-35 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Cut into squares when cool, sprinkle powdered sugar on top, and decorate the individual slices with strawberries.
... And enjoy!
- You can replace the strawberries with other fruit of your choice.
- The fruit will not sink into the batter, if you dip it into flour beforehand.
- And, if you are an almond fan, you can use even 8-10 dkg sliced almonds to go on top.
Strawberry Filled Curd Cheese Dumplings
Strawberry season is here
! Make the most of it by dreaming up a host of dishes and drinks with this delicious and versatile fruit.
Hungarian Cold Cherry Soup
In Hungary, cold cherry soup
is generally served before the main course, but my American friends preferred to serve it as a dessert.
: You can add an extra tablespoon of flour to thicken more, and serve it as a main course
, with grilled lean meat on the side.
Hungarian Sour Cream Biscuits
: These crispy biscuits might not make it to the dinner table, if you leave them unattended on the kitchen counter!