Strawberry season is here! Make the most of it by dreaming up a host of dishes and drinks with this delicious and versatile fruit.
Ingredients for about 15 dumplings
500 g (17.5 oz) curd cheese (cottage cheese)
4 heaped Tbsp Cream of Wheat (semolina, or grits)
2 eggs, separated
oil or butter
250 g (8.8 oz) strawberries
3-4 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp vanilla (or one packet Vanillin sugar, if you are in Hungary)
1 dl (½ cup) water
: 1 hour
Gently wash the strawberries, then hull them. Set aside.
Using a fork, mix the curd cheese; add a pinch of salt, the egg yolks, 4 heaped Tbsp Cream of Wheat (grits), and grated peel of a lemon. Mix until combined. Beat egg whites and carefully add to curd cheese mixture. Set aside, and let rest for half an hour.
Toast 4-5 Tbsp breadcrumbs on 3-4 Tbsp oil or butter, and set aside until dumplings are cooked.
Boil lightly salted water in a pot, then moisten hands and form dumplings from the curd cheese mix, placing a strawberry inside. Drop a few dumplings at a time in the rapidly boiling water, and stir gently once, so that they don’t stick to the bottom as they sink. Once dumplings rise to the surface, let cook for another 2-3 minutes, then remove them with a slotted spoon, and immediately roll them in the toasted breadcrumbs.
When serving, sprinkle with powdered sugar. You can also pour strawberry sauce on top.
Preparation of strawberry sauce
: puree the hulled and washed strawberries in a food processor or a blender. Add vanilla sugar and water, then bring to boil, stirring constantly.
- The dumplings will be softer and lighter if you break up/cut the curd with a fork, or press it through a potato ricer.
- You can add the eggs without separating them, but the dumplings will be lighter if you beat the whites before adding to mixture.
- When making the dumplings, flatten a piece of the curd mixture on one palm, then place a strawberry in the middle, and fold over the mixture; adding more mixture, if necessary, to fill any holes remaining. Then roll them into round balls.
- You can use a slotted spoon to put the dumplings in the boiling water. This way you won’t burn your hands.
- When they rise to the surface, you may need to lower the heat to boil for another 2-3 minutes.
- You can enhance the aroma of the dumplings by adding sugar and freshly ground walnuts to the toasted breadcrumbs.
- When pureeing the strawberries for the sauce, you may want to leave chunky bits in it. All the more fun. :-)
How to Hull Strawberries
Handy Kitchen Measures
Hungarian Strawberry Cake
Combine the sensual fresh strawberries with this luscious cake
, and enjoy a moment to remember.