Address: 6300 Kalocsa, Hunyadi János út 2.
The Archiepsicopal Treasury at Kalocsa is located by the Cathedral, on Szentharomsag
(Holy Trinity) Square, in the Istvan Katona house. The permanent exhibit having all the collected treasures of the Archbishopric on view was opened in 1988, and is located in the northern wing of the complex. The collection consists of paintings, sculptures, golden and other precious jewelry from medieval times.
Some of the objects displayed in the five rooms of the Treasury include various relics of the archdiocesan history, like carvings, manuscripts, documents, paintings, commodity objects, medieval pontifical gravestone, liturgical vestments, etc.
And works of the famous priest-painter Peter Prokop
(1919-2003) are also on display here.
Room 1: History and relics of the 11th through the 17th centuries
Display 1.1: Medieval Kalocsa-Bacsa Primacy
Display 1.2: Medieval cathedrals
Display 1.3: The Primacy during the Turkish times (16-17th century)
Room 2: The Century of New Beginnings (18th century)
Display 2.1: The Second Conquest (18th century)
Display 2.2: The Baroque Cathedral and the Archiepiscopal Palace
Room 3: High Priest and Prebendal Insignia
Display 3.1: High Priest Jewelry
Display 3.2: Archbishopric of Kalocsa
Historian-prebend Istvan Katona (1732-1811)
Istvan Katona memorial room
Room 4: 19-20th century
Display 4.1: The Archbishopric of Kalocsa in the19-20th century
Room 5: Vestments
Display 5.1: High Priest’s Liturgical Vestments
: Kalocsai Érseki Kincstár
- Permanent exhibit: 6300 Kalocsa, Hunyadi u. 2. (Katona István ház)
- Office: 6300 Kalocsa, Szentháromság tér 1. (Érseki Palota)
- All year round.
- Between April 1 and October 31, from 9.00 to 17.00.
- The rest of the year you need to call in and set up an appointment.
- CLOSED on Monday.
- 36-78/462-641 (during open hours)
- 36-78/462-166 (in the winter)
: 36-78/462-166, ext. 130
Images and information courtesy of the Archiepiscopal Treasury, Kalocsa
The Roman Catholic Cathedral of Kalocsa
The archdiocese of Kalocsa was founded by St. Stephen of Hungary in 1010, and its first archbishop was Astrik, who delivered St. Stephen’s crown from Pope Sylvester II
. From the very beginning, the Archbishop of Kalocsa was next in rank to the Archbishop of Gran, which meant that when Gran was vacant, the Archbishop of Kalocsa had the right to crown the sovereign
Cathedral Library of Kalocsa
Hundreds and thousands of ancient codices
have been gathered together in the private and archbishopric libraries being predecessors to this final, complex library of the Cathedral in Kalocsa.
The "Paprika Capital" of Hungary, Kalocsa is located on the left side of the Danube, 75 miles from Budapest.
The Archbishopric of Kalocsa was founded by St. Stephen in 1001
, and the city's first Archbishop, Bishop Astrid had the honor of bringing the Holy Crown to Saint Stephen
, founder of the Christian state of Hungary.
Image: Statue of Asztrik
on Kalocsa's Szt. Istvan Street
Paprika Museum Kalocsa
The Paprika Museum gives visitors an insight into the details of the manufacturing processes of the world-famous Hungarian paprika
. Also called the red gold, this sweet herb is essential in the culinary culture and the traditional image of Hungary.