A refreshing combination of sweet and sour flavors: an excellent choice for hot summer days.
Ingredients for about 16 slices
3 eggs, separated
3 Tbsp sugar (about 60 g)
3 Tbsp flour (about 60 g)
½ tsp baking powder
1 package vanilla sugar (about 10 g)
For the cream
1 package custard-powder (about 40 g)
4-5 Tbsp sugar
2 dl milk
2 dl unsweetened cream
2 Tbsp margarine
300 g red currant
whipped cream for decoration
: 45 min. + 1 hour baking time
Wash and stem the red currants, leaving a few strigs for garnish. Measure the ingredients. Preheat the oven to 150 ºC.
Separate the eggs. In a bigger bowl beat the egg whites, gradually add the sugar, until stiff peaks form. Add the eggs yolks, one by one, then the flour and the baking powder. Stir slightly.
Grease and flour a 26 cm baking pan. Pour in the dough. Bake 50 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
While the cake is baking, make the custard. Mix the vanilla custard-powder with 4-5 Tbsp sugar, add 1 dl milk bit by bit, and stir well. Pour 2 dl cream and the remaining milk into a saucepan and bring to boil. Remove from heat, slowly stir in the custard-powder mix, and return to the stove. Whisk constantly, until the mixture thickens to the consistency of heavy cream and coats a spoon lightly (about 1 minute). Stir in 2 Tbsp margarine and cool.
Gently spread the custard over the top of the cold sponge-cake, spread red currants evenly on it, and then refrigerate for 1 hour or until cold. Garnish with whipped-cream and red currant leaves.
- You can stem the red currants using a fork instead of your fingers to gently pull berries off the fine stems.
- Always wash the eggs before use to avoid disease, but store in the refrigerator without washing.
- Add a pinch of salt or a few drops of lemon juice to the egg whites, to make it easier to beat, and the meringue will be thicker as well.
- For a light, airy sponge-cake, gently fold the flour into the egg mixture, with a slow, from the bottom up motion, without letting the air escape from the beaten eggs.
- You can use any kind of fruits instead of red currant.