Cornmeal mush: a light dinner on a hot summer evening.
Ingredients for about 4 servings
1 liter water
200 g cornmeal
2-3 tablespoon of oil or fat
2 or 3 tomatoes
2 or 3 bell peppers
300 ml sour cream
50 ml milk
100 g cheese
: 45-50 minutes
Chop the tomatoes and bell peppers into small pieces. Mix the sour cream and milk, add salt to taste. Heat the oven to 220 ºC.
In a medium saucepan, bring water to boil. Add 1 teaspoon of salt. Whisking constantly, slowly add the cornmeal. Reduce heat to low, and stirring constantly, cook for about 10 minutes or until the polenta starts to thicken. Remove from heat. Coat a casserole with oil or fat, then spread half of the polenta into it. Add the tomato and bell pepper pieces and spread with a small amount of sour cream. Top with the rest of the polenta and sour cream, and sprinkle with grated cheese. Bake for 20 minutes. Serve hot or cold.
- Easier to serve this dish if you cut the tomatoes and bell peppers to small pieces.
- Use oven gloves to stir the polenta to avoid burns.
- Stir the polenta constantly to avoid lumps.
- It thickens quickly, so 4 to 5 minutes is enough to call it done.
- You can use garlic salt or a different kind of flavored salt instead of plain salt.
- Try topping it with smoked cheese!