This home made bread stuffed with smoked ham is certain to make your husband fall in love with you again and again. ;-)
1000 g flour
Ca. 400-500 ml water
50 g fresh yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoon salt
1000 g smoked ham
2 whole pcs. of garlic
Oil or lard
: 4-5 hours
Place ham in a vessel, fully cover with cold water and boil it slowly with the onion and garlic, for about 1.5 hours or until soft. Cool it in the water, than drain it off.
While the ham cools, dissolve yeast in 200 ml warm water, add sugar, and let stand in a warm place, until yeast begins to foam.
Sift the flour and salt into a bowl. Stir in the yeast liquid and remaining warm water to get a manageable but not sticky dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead well – with hands – until dough becomes smooth and elastic, at least about 60-90 minutes. Roll out the dough to 1-inch thickness; put the ham in the middle of it, than cover it with the rest of the dough.
Place the loaf upside down on a baking tray; and use a sharp knife to score the bread. Cover, and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, for about 1-2 hours.
While the bread is rising, preheat oven to 200 ºC. Bake it for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 170 ºC and bake for 50 more minutes. Lightly oil the top of the bread when it starts to turn red, and for the last 10 minutes turn up heat again to 200 ºC.
Allow to cool on a wire rack.
- An old salt ham should be soaked overnight before boiling.
- Use smoked leg of beef or chuck instead of smoked ham.
- Work with warm ingredients in a warm kitchen otherwise the dough will not rise.
- Add water to flour little-by-little, to avoid getting too soft of a dough. If it does become too soft, add a little bit more flour. If dough is too thick, add a few drops of water and knead well.
- Give all your power to kneading!
- Bread-crust will be red and crispy because of the oil on top of it.
Now I know why in olden times they made bread only once or twice a month…
This recipe takes a long time to make, but it is well worth every minute. Everyone will like this tasty, crunchy bread