The second largest city in population in the region called Hajdúság, Hajdúszoboszló is located 140 miles from Budapest and 12 miles from Debrecen along Route 4. The Tartar invasion almost completely destroyed the city, and the area was resettled by the heyducks of István Bocskai in 1606. Its upswing commenced from the end of October 1925, when a drilling for oil brought up crystal-clear, 163 ◦F thermal water.
Hajdúszoboszló is located 140 miles from Budapest and 12 miles from Debrecen along Route 4
Referred to in written records as early as 1075, Szoboszló is mentioned in the establishing documents of an abbey in Garamszentbenedek. The Tartar invasion
almost completely destroyed the city, and the area was resettled by the heyducks of István Bocskai in 1606. The name bears Slavic origin; meaning people belonging to someone called Szoboszló, or the ending -borough or -ville, referring to a place which bears someone's name. The Hunyadi family
owned the city in the 15th century, when the church -- also serving as a fortress -- was built.
Being the second largest city in population in the region called Hajdúság, Hajdúszoboszló has always been committed and faithful to the Calvinist College in Debrecen, offering significant help to it.
Rooted in the opportunities laid in the railway, the city made an immense progression in the 1900s, but its upswing commenced from the end of October, 1925, when a drilling for oil brought up crystal-clear, 163 ◦F thermal water
. Thanks to its wonderful ingredients, this brownish, weird-smelling water turned out to be a powerful healer for all kind of rheumatic problems
. Realizing the unparalleled opportunities, the first spa was built within two years and was ranked as a medicinal bath in 1934. The nascent spa-tourism hastened a quick progression and the city was soon called the 'Mecca for Rheumatics
', where guests are given various types of treatments.
The new Aqua Park
was opened in 2000 and offers great recreation for all ages. In addition, other fabulous events wait for the visitors, such as the Horse-riding Days
and the Spa-Balls
Photo: László Fodor
Calvinist Church Hajduszoboszlo
Erected in the 15th century
and standing on Calvin Square, the rampart of this gothic building is considered one of the most important relics in the city
. Today, high-standard organ concerts are held in the building
Fazekas Pottery House Hajdúszoboszló
The famous, thatched-roofed Pottery House near the Calvinist Church is the home and workshop of István Fazekas
. The master's unique, black ceramics art pieces
, and products similar to his, can be seen at Nádudvar
Roman Catholic Church Hajduszoboszlo
Built in 1755, this baroque church building was dedicated to St. Ladislaus. Its murals recall the entire history of the city
, including the finding of the thermal water as well as a miraculous healing of one of the workers. Pope John Paul II visited the building when he was the Archbishop of Krakow, Poland
Greek Catholic Church Hajduszoboszlo
Designed by István Lengyel, the building was erected in 1994 on the request of the city's small, Greek Catholic community, and it is dedicated to the 'Protection of the Mother of God
'. Its modern architecture combines the characteristics of contemporary and baroque styles
István Bocskai Museum Hajdúszoboszló
A permanent exhibition redesigned in 1995 is held in the main building, and it presents the history of Hajdúszoboszló from the beginning to our days
Museum of International Contemporary Arts Hajduszoboszlo
The Museum of International Contemporary Arts opened in September 1996 displays the works of Joseph Kadar
. The artist was born in Debrecen, lived in Szoboszlo between 1939 and 1954, and then moved to Paris
, where he got acquainted with the modern techniques of electrographic art
. Since then he's been using computers and copy machines to create his art pieces.
Bell House Hajduszoboszlo
Designed by architect Zoltán Rácz and opened in the year of the Millennium, the Bell House has a unique bell collection on display. The approximately 50 specially designed alloy-aluminum bells
were cast with slotting in them, to create a special sound.