Kiskőrös is the birth-place of the famous Hungarian poet, Sándor Petőfi, and it is the city of viticulture.
Dug up at the excavations in 1891 and shown in the National Museum, an ancient stone-axe also proves that Avar and Sarmatian people lived in this area in 6000 BC. Written records mention the city as early as 1274, and later in 1275. Its name was most probably given after the surrounding ash (kőris) forests, while the prefix helps differentiate it from Nagykőrös.
After completely destroyed by the Ottoman Empire in 1529, people took refuge in the nearby swamps and woods. The columned church from the times of the Árpád dynasty was most presumably demolished in this invasion. After a few attempts to rebuild it, a synagogue was erected in its place in 1876, when the last column was toppled.
The Ottoman dominion was followed by the Wattay dynasty and the settlement of Lutherans from Slovakia in 1718. These immigrants faced fierce persecution and much trials and tribulations. Charles, III ordered that their recently built church be destroyed and consequently forbade them from rebuilding it. His regulation was abolished by Joseph, II, and the people of Kiskőrös did not waste any time in rebuilding their place of worship. In 1784 the town was ranked to be a Scarborough, where stock-farming meant the main source of living. Many from the city joined the War and Revolution in 1848-49.
What led the immigrated Slovak people to become more and more Hungarian was the settling of Hungarian Catholics and later the abolishment of the education in the Slavic language. János Bajzák opened the first private school, which later became council-run - functioning as a High School today.
The Scarborough was ranked to be a city in December 30, 1972, on the 150th anniversary of the birth of Sándor Petőfi.
Nowadays thousands of tourists take pleasure in the 127°F thermal water in the spa of the city.